Hawaii Pacific (West Region)
The American Cancer Society Hawaii Pacific works to save lives, celebrate lives, and lead the fight for a world without cancer in communities across the state of Hawaii and in Guam.
The Hawaii Pacific offices are a part of the West Region which serves the needs in communities across Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and California.
Nationwide we are a community-based voluntary health organization whose mission is to eliminate cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer through research, education, advocacy, and service.
History & Offices:
The American Cancer Society Hawaii Pacific, Inc. was incorporated in Hawaii in September 1959. The Hawaii Pacific Headquarters is located in Honolulu, Hawaii. Four field offices are located in the state of Hawaii–one each on Hawaii Island (located in Hilo, serving the entire island), Oahu, Kauai and Maui (serving Maui, Molokai and Lanai), and one office located in Guam.
Attacking Cancer From Every Angle
Today, almost 1,700 people in the US will die of cancer. That adds up to more than 600,000 Americans dying of cancer this year alone. That’s why, with our 1.5 million volunteers, we are taking action.
We are Activists
- Contributed to a 27% drop in cancer death rates since 1991 in the US.
- In all 50 states and at the federal level, ACS CAN, our nonpartisan advocacy affiliate, has staff and a volunteer network that works to make cancer a top priority for public officials.
- Advocated for and secured a $9 billion increase at the National Institutes of Health and a $1 billion increase at the National Cancer Institute since 2015 to support cancer research and prevention
- 60% of the US population is covered by smoke-free laws, including 25 states that require 100% smoke-free workplaces in large part because of ACS CAN’s advocacy efforts
We are a Leader in Transformational Cancer Breakthroughs
- As the largest funder of cancer research outside of the federal government, we have invested more than 4.8 billion since 1946
- 47 researchers funded by ACS went on to win the Nobel Prize
- First to scientifically prove a link between cancer and smoking and a link between obesity and death from breast, colorectal, liver, uterine, and other cancers.
- We have played a role in most of the recent cancer research breakthroughs
We Serve Communities
- 8.5 million free rides to treatment provided for cancer patients since 2005 through Road to Recovery
- 4 million free nights of lodging through our Hope Lodge communities
- Helped deliver over 800,000 low- or no- cost cancer screenings in underserved communities
We Provide Direction
- We are the #1 trusted source for cancer information with over 100 million visits to cancer.org annually and our Cancer Facts and Figures publication being one of the most widely cited publications of cancer data in the world
- Answers and support available 24/7 through our live helpline, where we respond to 1.3 million calls annually
- Working to eliminate HPV-related cancers in the US by 2026 and ensure 80% of adults aged 45+ are screened for colorectal cancer
American Cancer Society , Inc.