Did you know?…..Here is a little bit of history about our ACS home office in Nu’uanu.
Ka Hale `Ohana was given to Hawaii’s American Cancer Society in 1996 by a hui of donors motivated by two desires: First, these good friends wanted to free the Society from rental expenses and because of their kindness, monies formerly used for rent and maintenance were directed towards the Society’s mission and programs to reduce cancer incidence, increase survival rates, and improve the quality of life for those with cancer. The hui also wanted to see the work of the Society carried out in a home-like setting that would be comfortable and welcoming for patients and volunteers.
Ka Hale `Ohana consists of two buildings on what was once a taro patch. The main house was constructed in 1906 for the family of Arthur F. Ewart, an Englishman engaged in the sugar industry. The smaller adjacent house was built in 1917 to house domestic help and later the growing Ewart family. Until 1995, four generations of Ewarts lived on the property, evolving by marriage into Cattons and Yorks.
Today the original building is named Atherton House and the smaller building is the Watamull Cottage to honor donors whose special generosity made the buildings available to the American Cancer Society. The campus itself is named in recognition of the generosity of The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation.